PDA

View Full Version : Συνεντευξη Pedrosa στο crash.net

vassilis88
19/02/2007, 21:01
Q&A: Dani Pedrosa.

Double 2006 MotoGP race winner and rookie of the year, Dani Pedrosa, overturned Yamaha's domination of the Qatar test to put Honda on top during the third and final day - at a circuit which will host the first race of 2007.

But perhaps the biggest surprise was that the next best Honda riders, Shinya Nakano and Marco Melandri, were just equal tenth on the timesheets - while Pedrosa's world championship winning team-mate Nicky Hayden could only manage 14th on the other factory RC212V.

Here, Pedrosa claims he was 'suprirised' by his performance in Qatar, and also talks about riding the new 800cc machines, his attitude to testing plus much more...

Q:
After a strong finish to the three days of testing in Qatar, do you think you've got all your 'homework' done for the first race here?

Dani Pedrosa:
There are still some things on the bike that are not perfect, but that's normal. Let's hope that we'll be able to fix them soon. One of the aspects we wanted to check was the performance of the bike in the last laps and I think we've now got information [on that]. It is a starting point to begin improving. The tyres went more or less well. This was an important test, especially as regards tyres, due to the new regulations. Now we'll have to see which tyres to use for the first race here and if this test has helped us to prepare for it better.

Q:
The times set during this pre-season are equal or even faster than those set with the 990cc machines. Are you surprised?

Dani Pedrosa:
Yes, you're right, we've seen it [on the final day in Qatar]. It shows that technology is always evolving, because we have less power, but we're being as fast as with higher power. I think that this means that we're working in the right direction.

Q:
And are you surprised to be fastest at the test?

Dani Pedrosa:
To be honest, yes. I'm also surprised to set faster times than last year's pole, but we must wait and see what happens at the grand prix, because the conditions may be different. I don't really remember the weather conditions last year, and sometimes that also counts.

Q:
Can you tell us the main differences between riding the 990cc Honda RC211V and the 800cc Honda RC212V?

Dani Pedrosa:
The main differences between the two bikes are that first of all there is less power [with the 800] and the bike is a bit more agile. As regards the riding style, you have to brake later now and you are faster into the corners. The new bike is smaller as a whole and more rideable, with a faster corner speed. It also weighs some kilos less so I feel that it is a bit easier to ride when changing sides and in the corners. The dimensions are smaller, so now I have a more comfortable position, with the smaller tank and closer to the handlebars.

Q:
Can you explain the differences between a 16.5" and a 16" tyre?

Dani Pedrosa:
There is actually no big difference, although it seems that this is the way to follow. Maybe, what the 16" tyre - which everyone is using now - does, is to give you more feeling in your hands; you get more information on what is happening in the front end of the bike.

Q:
Staying focused during the winter test must be complicated compared to a grand prix weekend, is it?

Dani Pedrosa:
Yes, it isn't always easy. As any human being you have better and worse days, but you always have to try to focus as much as possible, you can't let your attention wander for a moment.

Q:
I guess that you must keep some kind of safety margin during the tests...or do you give it your all, just as if it was a grand prix?

Dani Pedrosa:
To be honest, if you want to test whether something is good or not, you have to take the bike to the limit. There is no use in just lapping, so even if they are just winter tests, you have to give it your all.

Q:
Last year we saw that overtaking was one area where you could improve. Do you think that the new 800cc bike will help in that area?

Dani Pedrosa:
I hope so. I really hope to be able to improve [overtaking] a bit, but I can't tell you now because I haven't tried yet.

Q:
How did you fit into the Repsol Honda Team last year?

Dani Pedrosa:
To tell you the truth, when I arrived last year, I felt that the mechanics and all the people of the Repsol Honda Team were huge professionals. And I'm feeling it even more this year, no doubt about that. There is a good feeling in general, because everybody has more or less the same character.

Q:
Your team-mate Nicky Hayden is the reigning MotoGP champion for 2007 - as a former 125 and double 250cc world champion, do you think riders treat the reigning world champion differently out on track?

Dani Pedrosa:
I don't know what the other riders may be thinking, but in my case, what happened in the 250cc class [when Pedrosa was the reigning champion] was that instead of feeling more pressure, the situation motivated me even more.

Q:
You are good friends with fellow Repsol rider Julito Simón, who looks to like he'll make a strong switch from the 125cc to the 250cc class this year. What advice would you give him?

Dani Pedrosa:
I really don't know. The 250cc will be a hard-fought class, but I hope that everything will work out fine for 'Julito'. He should stay focused on himself, and forget about what the other riders are doing.