Σελίδα 1 από 10 123456 ... ΤελευταίοΤελευταίο
Προβολή αποτελεσμάτων 1 έως 15 από 137

Θέμα: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld

Μέλος Το avatar του/της DekatriaProject

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld

Κάντε click στην εικόνα για μεγαλύτερο μέγεθος. 

Όνομα:	banner02.jpg 
Προβολές:	1073 
Μέγεθος:	53,4 KB 
ID:	282135
    Thousands of miles through Europe, from the Netherlands to Greece and back

Welcome.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place on your forum - my knowledge of the Greek language leaves to be desired, but I figured this was one good way to pick a few things up along the way

Let me just tell you what this is about - the story is as important as the ride itself.

In 1996, when I was 10 years old, my best friend from the neighborhood (aged 11) committed suicide. When something like that happens at that young an age, you’re sad for a few months, and afterwards you go on happily with your life. Just like everything else happening to you as a kid you reckon that something like that is normal to happen, and don’t give it any further thought.

Until you become an adult, that is. Thirteen years later, in 2009, I had to do some college research into mourning high school students. I had picked the subject myself as I figured that with my own experience, it would be a doddle to do.
    However, as I spoke to school counsellors about the subject, I came to realize that a death of someone close at a young age is not something normal. I suddenly understood I had been wrong for the past thirteen years, and that what happened in 1996 wasn’t done with me yet. Subsequently, a bomb went off inside my head, and eventually it threw me into a deep depression. This period seemed so endless, I more than once thought of putting an end to it myself.

Thankfully, both my close friends and family gave me all the love, support and attention I needed... it took lots of hard work and perseverance, but in May 2010, six months later and just weeks before my older brother got married, the storm finally settled. I had been lucky enough to go through hell, and come out the other end unscathed and stronger than ever... all thanks to those dearest to me.

Because of this, the number thirteen (the amount of years I lived in ignorance about probably the most important moment in my life) has become a symbol of endurance to me. To never surrender, to celebrate family and friendship, and commemorate those who haven’t been able to live their lives as they wished to. After all, it’s when the going gets tough that we really need someone close to us... and there’s alot of people out there who aren’t as lucky as I have been.

The Project

Now, ever since I was a kid I’ve been inexplicably obsessed about everything Greek, and subsequently it’s been a dream of mine to see your country itself one day. So coming out of that darkest of times, I thought it was about time I went and did something about it. I was going to get my motorcycle license, and ride to Greece. This became The Dekatria Project.

The project took off in October 2010 when I passed my Theory Exam. Almost exactly one year later I passed my final Driving Test, in July 2012 I did a 3500km (~2200 miles) training trip through Great Britain and now, it’s time for the big one. It’s time to bring all this preparation into practice, and turn the dream I almost took away from myself into actual reality.

The route will take me from my home in Rotterdam (the Netherlands) through Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy to the southernmost point of continental Greece: Cape Tenaron, the mythical gate to the Ancient Greek Underworld where people would go if they wanted to visit the deceased.

After that I turn around, to go back home through Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland and Germany. Altogether the journey will be around 7000km (or 4400 miles) in length, but I’ll probably go over it. I’m departing the 19th of July, hopefully entering Brindisi in Italy around the 27th. I then board the ferry to Greece, and from there on in I’ll probably take as much time as I want to, probably spending the first week of August in Greece before crossing the border into Albania.

[Continued in next post]
    Thousands of miles, two wheels, thirteen reasons.
    from The Netherlands to Greece and back
    Follow my project at thirteenreasons.nl or on Facebook!

More than meets the eye

I also wanted to let the project always be part of something bigger than just my own dreams. I did the Tour of Britain in honour of my grandfather whose last wish it was to see Scotland, and for this trip, I contacted ‘To Write Love On Her Arms’. They’re a non-profit foundation from the US, dedicated to providing help to those struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. On the trip, I’ll ask the people I meet to write the thing or person they love most in their lives on my helmet. Upon returning home, the helmet will then hopefully have become a written map of the journey, and it will subsequently be auctioned off during an auction night on Friday the 13th of September. The proceeds will then go to To Write Love On Her Arms.

Now, I’m aware that getting to this auction is a pain in the backside for any people overseas (which most of you probably are), so the week prior to auction night, I will also auction off three different project shirts on Ebay. Likewise, all proceeds will go to TWLOHA. (Further info will be posted on the site and in this thread in due time).

So, now that you know about the whole shebang, I hope you’ll enjoy reading the lead-up to (and report of) what has thus far proven to be the largest and most definitive undertaking of my life. As I’ve said to my own friends and family on numerous occasions: Thanks for being here, I really appreciate it.

Visit the website for The Road So Far, the Route, pictures and videos. If I can add some on the way photo-updates, they will be posted on the Facebook page

Oh, and if you live somewhere on the route and would like to tag along, help out with accommodation or have got any tips you'd like to share, feel free to let me know

All the best,

Greg

Links:
    The project website
    The project on Facebook
    The project planning thread on ADVrider
    The Ride Report of the 2012 Tour of Great Britain
    To Write Love On Her Arms

Κάντε click στην εικόνα για μεγαλύτερο μέγεθος. 

Όνομα:	banner01.jpg 
Προβολές:	1064 
Μέγεθος:	31,1 KB 
ID:	282136

Welcome to the forum Greg, don't worry you 've posted in the right section of it. Good luck with the preps and all, we 'll keep following your journey down here (and back up). If you have any questions, please ask. Lots of us have been to the rest of the Balkans as well so we can provide you with further tips.

Cheers

Elias

71°1′8″N 25°47′50″E
    48°07'01.6"N 1°27'50.9"W

Le Servonais

Παλαιό μέλος Το avatar του/της McGyver
    Welcome to moto.gr Greg, we are looking forward to welcoming you in Greece as well.

Since you plan to visit Athens, we could arrange to also meet in person with some of us...
    It would be nice to "tag" you with a moto.gr sticker, wouldn't it?

There's enough time to organize things until July, I'm sure many of our e-friends will respond.

Thomas

Welcome aboard Greg
    SRX6 & Tuono Rulezzz
    Επί αμφιβολίας άνοιξε τέρμα το γκάζι. Μπορεί να μη δώσει λύση στο πρόβλημα αλλά θα δώσει τέλος στην αγωνία..

Παλαιό μέλος Το avatar του/της DimChios
    We all welcome you to the forum Greg and we are wishing you the best for your project!

Also, we 'll keep in touch to meet with you when you arrive in Athens!

Τσίκι; Το avatar του/της MikeG
    Hello Greg! Welcome to Moto.GR. I wrote you also to advrider.com . If you need anything regarding the island of Crete you can contact me here or in advrider.com (I write there with the nick MikeTheMechanic). Also if you need any info about the country you can also contact me. By the way I believe you should also pay a visit to Crete, here is the southest point of Europe

So, keep us informed here!

:raki_power:

Welcome aboard!
    I've been watching you , since the beginning of the "the dekatria project" thread in advrider.com.

Ηi Ggeg.

As the others said ...Wellcome here and as Mike said ,if you 're planing to visit the island of Creta ,you 'll not regreat it .
    Good luck to the dekatria project of yours and have a nice whatever ...

Thanks for the kind words everyone nice to see you here too Mike, I just followed the link in your sig @ ADVrider

Παράθεση Δημοσιεύθηκε αρχικά από McGyver Προβολή μηνύματος
    Since you plan to visit Athens, we could arrange to also meet in person with some of us...
    It would be nice to "tag" you with a moto.gr sticker, wouldn't it?

There's enough time to organize things until July, I'm sure many of our e-friends will respond.
    Seems like a great plan to me! I'll most likely enter Greece by the end of July, and arrive in Athens during the first week of August. Already looking forward to it!

Dear Greg....

we will be watching and personally i hope to be able to ride with you in your greek route (at least at a part of it)....

we ll be in touch through the forum....

till then, mate!!!!!!!!!!!

it's really inspiring...the way u pick your projects...
    NdGT: "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong"Το'χω πάθει και στις Σέρρες
    riding coach του πληκτρολογίου

Cheers spyrakos & gixxerman

Even though riding has been pretty much at a standstill for the past weeks due to the amount of frost passing over the Netherlands, the preparation is still chugging along nicely. I've got a cooling vest in, the replacement of the Drift has earned its first stripes, the first provisions for the trip are in as well and tomorrow the Alp is going to the garage to get the steering stem bearings replaced.

Luckily, the frost seems to have entered a 3 day lapse which is perfect to bring the beast back to life and get it to its garage appointment.

The beast itself had some trouble waking up after a 6 week nap (who wouldn't - 't was probably some moisture in the carbs), but eventually it fired up and all was well. I took the liberty of shooting the first on-board images with the new cam, and the Ghost is doing a top job. The sound is way better (you can hear alot more with alot less windnoise) and the images themselves seem alot crisper too. I'll put a up a short clip on the Facebook page tomorrow give you an idea :deal

There's a few things I keep thinking about when it comes to this Summer's trip, apart from all the things that still need to be done.

Ever since the project took off in 2010, I've been thinking about how it would feel like riding off the ferry into the country I'd dreamt about for my entire life. A moment which will probably stick with me for the rest of my days.

I can only really compare it to the moment I rode back into Harwich this Summer after a harrowing 2200 mile journey through Britain; I can't really describe what happens to you - you just feel that everything you sacrificed, everything you had to endure up until that moment was completely worth it... and you cannot help but be overcome by a strange ecstatic mix of emotions. Last Summer I subsequently had to do my very best to keep the beast on the road.

Seems to me then that the eventual disembarkment this Summer will probably result in a crash of some kind, hahahaha (*knocks on wood*).

Five months to go. It goes quicker than I thought.

Ογκόλιθος Το avatar του/της Sapadak
    Super Moderator
    Παράθεση Δημοσιεύθηκε αρχικά από DekatriaProject Προβολή μηνύματος
    Ever since the project took off in 2010, I've been thinking about how it would feel like riding off the ferry into the country I'd dreamt about for my entire life. A moment which will probably stick with me for the rest of my days.
    Very very VERY slippery.
    Roads here are nothing like you 've used to in NL, or what you saw in GB. They are much worse, so have that in your mind.

ps
    Welcome mate

Always somewhere.... Το avatar του/της zandesiro
    Hi Greg.....

I am very glad to see your post here in moto.gr!!

I hope to see you in Halkidiki-Polygyros if your way comes through there!
    Do you have my greetings from Wandering wosly (stevens) brother??I hope you do!

You know that Steven stays in my house for one night when he has in his way back home from around black sea?

Cheers, zandesiro....

Σελίδα 1 από 10 123456 ... ΤελευταίοΤελευταίο

Παρόμοια θέματα

1. the pin project
    από 8avos στο forum Ταξιδιωτικά
    Απαντήσεις: 0
    Τελευταίο μήνυμα: 14/05/2013, 08:59
  2. The antsoar project
    από antsoar στο forum Γενικά περί μοτοσικλέτας
    Απαντήσεις: 27
    Τελευταίο μήνυμα: 05/02/2013, 08:58
  3. Απαντήσεις: 46
    Τελευταίο μήνυμα: 29/09/2011, 10:24
  4. The Norton Project
    από sapila racing στο forum Ανακατασκευές (Restoring)
    Απαντήσεις: 31
    Τελευταίο μήνυμα: 28/07/2010, 11:23
  5. R1 Bad to the bone
    από YamahakiasR1leo στο forum Υamaha R6 & R1
    Απαντήσεις: 0
    Τελευταίο μήνυμα: 18/01/2009, 17:53

Κανόνες δημοσιεύσεων

• Δεν μπορείτε να ανοίξετε νέο θέμα
  • Δεν μπορείτε να απαντήσετε
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επισυνάψετε αρχεία
  • Δεν μπορείτε να επεξεργαστείτε τα μηνύματά σας
  •